It’s Time for a Crash-Course on Kiln-Dried Firewood!
Greetings, fellow firewood enthusiast! So, you’re looking for better fires, and you’re wondering if kiln-dried firewood is worth it. You’ve come to the right place!
In this guide, we will take you on a journey through the wonderful world of kiln-dried firewood. We’ll show you how it’s made, why it’s awesome and where you can get some for yourself.
Not only that, but we will also give you some tips for choosing the best wood for your situation. So, whether you’re going to cook with it, camp with it or both, we’ve got you covered.
Plus, we’ll also teach you how to store it properly to take full advantage of your kiln-dried goodness!
Sound good? Great! Then it’s time to begin the class!
If you need a course guide, check out our full syllabus of topics below:
- How Kiln-Dried Firewood is Made
- The Benefits of Kiln-Dried Firewood
- The Ideal Moisture Content of Kiln-Dried Firewood
- Kiln-Dried Firewood vs. Seasoned Firewood
- How to Identify Different Types of Firewood
- Determining the Best Firewood to Burn
- Choosing the Best Wood for Your Situation
- How to Measure a Cord of Firewood
- How to Stack Kiln-Dried Firewood
- Where to Store Kiln-Dried Firewood
- Where to Buy Firewood Near Me
Chapter 1: How Kiln-Dried Firewood is Made
Where does kiln-dried firewood come from? Unfortunately, no magical forest produces logs that are perfect for burning. We wish!
The truth is kiln-dried firewood starts the same as all other firewood: as a tree chopped down in the forest. But the magic begins when workers split those logs and cut them to length, removing all substandard pieces. They then take the good pieces and place them into a state-of-the-art dry kiln.
The dry kiln creates the perfect hot, low-humidity environment to remove moisture from the wood. This process brings the moisture content of the wood down to an ideal level for burning.
Many firewood companies use the kiln-drying process because it is much quicker than drying it without a kiln. The kiln also creates a controlled environment for perfect wood production. It’s how the best firewood companies produce a consistently high-quality product all year long.
Chapter 2: The Benefits of Kiln-Dried Firewood
What’s so great about this special wood anyway? We’re glad you asked.
To put it simply, kiln-dried firewood is a luxury brand of firewood. The difference between purchasing it and regular firewood is akin to purchasing a Lexus instead of a Chevy. Sure, the latter car will get you from point A to point B, but the former will make the ride a lot more fun!
And we don’t know about you, but when we purchase firewood, we’re usually looking to have a good time!
What makes kiln-dried firewood so much more enjoyable? Let us count the ways:
- Its low moisture content makes it easier to ignite than standard wood.
- It burns more efficiently to create hotter fires using less wood.
- The kiln-drying process creates wood that is completely free of insects, mildew and pesticides.
- Burning kiln-dried wood also produces less creosote and harmful emissions.
- Did we mention that it generates less smoke when burning?
- Oh yes, and it’s also lighter to lift because of its low moisture content.
- And it’s cleaner to store because it doesn’t shed much bark or debris.
We could go on, but we think you get the point. It’s hard to beat the luxury of wood that’s ready to burn right when you purchase it!